Sam's blog


My first job

My first real job, got it on my first attempt interview, to the only company I applied to. (Had several Engineering offers and an apprenticeship thingy with Zang Toi's restaurant/food business but hey it's Pringles company, how can I say no). Up to now I still have no idea of what I'm getting myself into. An Engineer doing some sort of sales? To find out more about my job, click here (just replace the country with Malaysia).

Well practically it's something that I've always wanted to learn about. I still have my dreams of business but I figure hey I'm still young, get the experience and the much needed capital then bootstrap a business when I'm ready for it.

So here I go.

When I got the offer letter the guy painted me this picture.
"This is not going to be an easy job depends on you. It requires you to travel a lot. A lot of responsibilities would be laid on you doesn't matter you're a fresh grad or with experience. You've got to work hard. I don't want you to have the picture of this huge corporate company with executive chairs and all. You have to get your hands dirty. And did I mention you need to be mobile?"

And right after that.

"Felix (the other guy who got the job) since you've got some experience in the industry, we're sending you to Melaka!"

Me: (Imagine the irony if they did send me back to Melaka!)

"Samuel since you're a fresh grad, we're sending you under a more experienced person. You're going to Kuantan! You'll be at least 6 months there starting this Feb. All the best"

Think he also mentioned that a group of us will be responsible for all of P&G's products on the entire East Coast. Still in a surreal state of mind.

But..

Kuantan?! The last time I was in Kuantan was way way back. I vaguely remember what Kuantan looks like. So a quick search on the net on the words "Kuantan" and I get this pictures.






Of course the next picture we see it all over Malaysia.

Ok, Kuantan's not that bad now.

So Kuantan people (or those who've been there) tell me is the real Kuantan? Enlighten me then.

Anyhow the moment I accept the offer, I'm instantly shipped off there. So visit me!

posted by sam @ 8:34 AM,

2 Comments:

At January 25, 2007 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

woahhhh.. you're going so far away????

Charis how??? :(

anyway, when you do go there.. take care of yourself k? :)

I'm sure you'll do great at your new job. :)

 
At January 26, 2007 9:43 AM, Blogger sam said...

Kuantan to KL, 3 hours. KL to Ipoh, 2 hours! Oh boy, no doubt gonna be hard. Oh well, need to have faith! I'm sure Charis and I will make it through! (Anyway they do pay me enough to fly to KL quite often, haha) ;)

So planning a road trip to Kuantan soon? :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

Samuel Yau

How do you truly know someone? The truth is, you can't. Each person that you come across have a perspective of you that differs from another. So it's entirely up to you on how I am perceived to be

About This Blog

Initially this blog was birthed out of curiosity, on what it would be like to have a blog. To explore the world of entrepreneurship, business, marketing, etc and to jot down my learnings/experience here. As time passes on, the purpose change, the passion change, the person change.


Quote

    "The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

Archives

Previous Posts


Links




Sam's Friends

  • Aaron L.
  • Alvin K.
  • Andrew L.
  • Audrey T.
  • Beatrice L.
  • Benjamin D.
  • Celine C.
  • Cfmmu
  • Dayze D.
  • David K.
  • Daniel K.
  • Deric J.
  • Dusty H.
  • Ee Chia C.
  • Edmund H.
  • Elaine S.
  • Elysia T.
  • Elvina T.
  • Esther L.
  • Esther S.
  • Esther W.
  • Fefe
  • Gary L.
  • Grace C.
  • Grace G.
  • Grace T.
  • Heidi T.
  • Isabel Y.
  • Jacintha L.
  • James L.
  • Jason T.
  • Jia Wern
  • Jin Wang
  • Jo Wen
  • Joash Y.
  • John S.
  • Joseph W.
  • Joshua C.
  • Joshua J.
  • Jonathan L.
  • KennySia
  • Kevin K.
  • Laura T.
  • Lenard T.
  • Leo K.
  • Leona L.
  • Lianne L.
  • Lilian L.
  • Lionel T.
  • Louis C.
  • Lucius C.
  • Mark C.
  • Melissa A.
  • Michelle D.
  • Mr. Brown
  • Nicky W.
  • Peak Yin L.
  • PG165
  • Rachel A. T.
  • Renee T.
  • Solomon T.
  • Stefanie C.
  • Taikacher.
  • Tze Seong L.
  • Victor K.
  • Wayne N.S.
  • Wee Liem N.